A few weeks back I mentioned how I was being color challenged in choosing a color for my office. You can read about that here. Happy to say that the room in now painted with a happy shade of gray. And I couldn't be more thrilled!
Now that the room is painted, the next thing on the list is deciding what wall treatment to use on the built-in shelves in the office.
Since I was undecided at this point on a second color to bring into my office, I decided to stencil using the same color I chose for my walls called Burnished Clay from Behr.Although it's name says clay, it is every bit gray.
 I have always loved the look of stencils but have never worked with them in my home. I decided to use the Morrocean Dream from Cutting Edge Stencils. First I prepped the book shelves using  a color called White Wheat from Porter Paint. This is the same color that I used on the trim. It is a real pretty creamy white color.
I applied two coats of paint before I applied the stencil technique.
Working from the bottom up, I positioned the stencil and began to apply the Burnished Clay.
The trick with this particular stencil was lining everything up, which was not always easy. Although I consider myself a fairly decent painter, I am not sure that I agree with the skill level marked on the package. The package said that this was a "beginner" stencil, and because of the preciseness that was required for the design I think it might need to be reclassified.
Finished!

 Overall, I am  pleased how the project turned out.  Using the gray  gives me more flexibility with introducing other colors in the room. Speaking of colors, last week I did find some fabric that I will use in the office. Although this combination is new and different to my overall style, I love the coral with the gray. It is fun and gives the calmness of the gray a  real kick.
I will use these fabrics to make a pillow, cover a lamp shade and make a slipcover for my desk chair. The slipcover is a "first" for me, so we will have to see what I end up sitting on!
 My goal is to have this space completed in the next week or so.
 It is one thing to have an unfinished project that you can't see, but sitting in the middle of one is another story!
Sharing my stenciling with:
Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Creek Cottage
French Country Cottage Feathered Nest Friday
DIY Dreamer Linky Party
Weekend Wrap Party Tatertots and Jello
Stylish Once Again Restyled Sunday



It's Overflowing
Photobucket

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top